This class is held Monday - Wednesday each week but only Monday shows in the calendar.
To schedule this class on other days and further arrangements, please contact us at Whatsapp.
For the hobby dyer or textile artist, 3-Day Studio Introduction and Creative Project offers 2 days of guided workshop and 1 day for participants to freely access to the dye studio where participants can practice the use of natural indigo blue, Ceriops and Woodfordia brown, jackwood yellow, and mud black and grey. The studio practices batik, shibori, and tannin painting with mud dyeing, but practitioners may practice their own surface design techniques, too.
Monday-Wednesday, starts from 9.00 to 17.00
Umajati Retreat, Jalan Subak Uma Petulu Lebah, Petulu Desa, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia
- Dye garden walk-through and dye plant introduction.
- Introductory talk on Indonesia's natural dye practices.
- Indigo paste making.
- Making an indigo vat with sugar as a reducing agent.
- How to scour (prepare) fabric in preparation for dyeing.
- Indigo dyeing of fabric swatches to practice color gradation.
- Introduction to Ceriops brown dye processes.
- Ceriops dyeing of fabric swatches to practice color gradation.
DAY 2 - Studio Introduction
- Introduction to dyeing grays and blacks with mud.
- Introduction to yellow dyeing with jackwood.
- How to finish (wash) fabric after dyeing.
- Hands-on practice guided by teacher.
- Address questions specific to your practice in the studio.
DAY 3 - Personal Creative Project
- A full day for a personal creative project at the dye studio.
- Studio day use includes dyes, soaps, scouring and finishing agents, batik wax, and studio use but does not include fibre to be dyed. Fabric or yarn can be purchased at the studio or brought with you.
- 2 meters of cloth may be dyed during this day. Further cloth may be used with the agreement of studio staff and an additional fee may be charged to cover dyes used.
- Studio day use grants access to vats for indigo blue, Ceriops red-brown, Woodfordia light-brown, mud black, jackwood yellow. New vats will be stronger and dye deeper colors quicker than old vats; only with old vats will subtle colors be possible. Vats will be renewed once they are exhausted. Participants agree to work with vats in the conditions that they find them.
- Participants agree to use only the studio's dyes, scouring and finishing soaps and agents in their work. Participants agree not to use outside dyes, soaps or chemicals in the studio.
- Separate vats will be set up for studio day use Participants. Participants agree not to use the studio's production vats.
- Participants are expected to share vat use fairly amongst themselves.
- After the 2-day studio introduction, studio staff offer limited coaching and mentoring but will not do members' work for them.
Cancellation and Refunds
There is a 100% refund for cancellations more than 7 days before the start of class.
There is a 50% refund for cancellations less than 7 days before the start of class.